Healthy Pasta Pesto
I came across this recipe in one of my favorite Vegan cookbooks. Eating pasta without guilt, who wouldn’t want that? Well I do and that is why this pasta has become one of my favorites.
What do you need.
Ingredients for 2-3 people:
- 75-100 g firm pasta p.p. (think penne, farfalle or spaghetti)
- 500 g firm vegetables, think mushrooms, beans, asparagus, broccoli, zucchini.
- olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 20 black olives without stone
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- parmesan (regular or vegan)
For the pesto:
- 1 hand of the vegetables (same vegetables as mentioned above)
- 1 handful of raw cashews
- 3-4 tsp of pesto (regular or vegan)
- 1 handful of arugula or spinach
Here’s how to make this healthy pasta pesto:
- Cook the pasta al dente.
- Cut all the vegetables and cook 1 handful of them together with 1 handful of cashew nuts for the pesto.
- Drain the cooked vegetables (save a little of the cooking liquid) and put the vegetables together with the pesto, arugula and spinach in the blender. Blend until smooth, if the pesto is too thick, you can add a little cooking liquid.
- In a pan with a little olive oil, fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Then add the vegetables and fry until al dente.
- Add the black olives and the pesto. Then gradually stir in the cooked pasta.
- Season the pasta with some lemon juice and plenty of freshly ground pepper.
- Serve with some arugula and (vegan) parmesan.
This great recipe comes from the book ‘GEWOON VEGAN’ written by Alexandra Penrhyn Lowe
Source: Penrhyn Lowe, A. (2020). GEWOON VEGAN.